OFFSHORE RADIO VESSELS
THE LIGHT VESSEL LV18
Photo by Peter Vrakking
The LV18 was one of the last manned lightships to be built - in 1958 - for Trinity House. The ship served Britain at various points around its coastline until 1993.
The vessel is now looked after by the Pharos Trust, which is carefully restoring her to her former glory. In a first phase of restoration, much of the exterior of the ship was cleaned up and the lantern tower repainted.
In April 2004 the vessel was used as the studio base for the programmes of Pirate BBC Essex.