THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY
Photos by Mark Carver, Max Freer, David Foord and Keiran Grace
The ITA station at Chillerton Down - on the Isle of Wight - opened on 30-Aug-1958 transmitting Southern ITV's VHF 405-line signals to the South of England.
Our first main photo was taken by Mark Carver in the early 1990s. It shows the two BT SHF dishes at the top, which at that time formed a telephone link between the UK and the Channel Islands. - the receive station on Alderney is probably line-of-sight from the top of the mast. The dishes were removed about 5 years ago, and presumably replaced by a fibre optic link.
The only broadcast use of the mast at that time was Southampton/Portsmouth ILR service; Power FM. The array can just be seen between the two dishes and our more recent shots show it still there unmoved
Our next two photos were taken by Max Freer in 2004...
The Rowridge site some 3-4 miles to the north-west
Finally a couple of aerial shots from Robert Whittaker:
Sending television signals by digital links - a first step
Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index
mb21 by Mike Brown Hosted by