THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY
|Photos by Peter Bigwood||Page last updated: 2017-04-09|
|Woodford Halse is about 10 km south of Daventry and appears to be at the edges of coverage for Oxford, Sandy Heath and Sutton Coldfield - the latter used as the parent station for the relay. It entered service on 12th December 1984.|
It's possible the higher ground to the north west partially obstructs reception from Sutton Coldfield - however as explained below it also played a part in providing the programme feed from London to Birmingham from 1949 until the 1980s.
|Peter commented: "The last photo shows one of the BT "atom bomb proof" chain of towers on the adjacent hill. Apparently, it was hit by a light aircraft some years ago."|
Editor's note: the aircraft was an RAF Jaguar which struck the upper part of the tower in 1984, damaging a wing but completing a safe emergency landing. The "big dishes" faced Birmingham (in this view, to the right) and Dunstable - Zouches Farm (left) as well as Copt Oak (towards) and Stokenchurch (away). The Post Office/BT "Charwelton" site was one of those used in the 1949 London to Birmingham 900 MHz television link - the two buildings just to the right of the steel tower are from that era. The original link went via Turners Hill. More information about the original TV link is shown under Zouches Farm.
The concrete tower was brought into use around 1966. In addition to general telephony traffic the site carried BBC and IBA links from the 1960s until the mid-1980s but at 4 and 6 GHz (possibly eventually via digital links at 11 GHz).
Woodford Halse index
BT Sites: Charwelton
Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index