THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY
|Photos by Jonathan Orme||Page last updated: 2014-01-21|
|Ally Pally - as she is known to her friends - is, of course, the most historic television site in the country. |
The Baird 240 line and Marconi-EMI 405 line systems were broadcast on alternate weeks from 2-Nov-1936 but the Baird system was dropped on 6-Feb-1937. Broadcasting continued until noon on 1-Sep-1939.
During the war, the Alexandra Palace transmitters were used for electronic counter measures. Broadcasts resumed on the afternoon of 7-June-1946 with the EMI 405 line system. Alexandra Palace was replaced by Crystal Palace as the London BBC TV transmitter on 28th March 1956.
A number of links to other resources are included at the bottom of the page.
Alexandra Palace index
Direct Television from Alexandra Palace
The Alexandra Palace Televison Society
Marconi Calling (Archive Material)
Alexandra Palace coverage area map
The Vision and Sound aerials
BBC RD: Alexandra Palace service area ( 1948)
Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index