THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY
|Photos by Brian Hutchinson and Jordy Lyons||Page last updated: 2014-07-19|
|Black Mountain was originally built by the ITA to bring ITV to Northern Ireland. 405 line ITV on VHF channel 9, launched on 13th October 1959. Closed January 1985.|
A 25W UHF TV relay commenced with 3 channels on 8th August 1975 serving about 17,000 people in West Belfast. Channel 4 was added in July 1984. Channel 5 was available from the launch on 30th March 1997. DSO was on 10th and 24th October 2012. The Northern Ireland mini mux (NIMM)also entered service at DSO 2, using MPEG-4 and DVB-T2.
ILR Belfast (Downtown Radio) launched on 16th March 1976, on 96.0 MHz. This frequency was changed to 97.4 MHz on 30th September 1986. Belfast Community Radio was added on 6th April 1990, on 96.7 MHz. U105 was added on 14th November 2005, on 105.8 MHz.
The re-engineering of BBC FM radio for mixed polarisation, at the nearby Divis site wasn't completed until April 1991. As an interim measure Radio's 1 & 4 were transmitted from Black Mountain at 1 kW ERP. Radio 1 from 24th November 1988 on 96.0 MHz. Frequency changed to 99.7 MHz on 3rd August 1990, at which time Radio 4 was transmitted on 96.0 MHz.
N.Ireland DAB entered service on 6th September 2001.
Black Mountain index
Divis A | Lisnagarvey
Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index