THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY
|Photos by Joshua Sadler||Page last updated: 2020-02-02|
|It's impossible to get close to the site due to a muddy field and the extremely secure nature of the place. It has a 8ft high security fencing around the entire length of the perimeter and further 10ft high security fences with barbed wire round the mast bases and stay anchors. The site is also covered by 2 CCTV cameras on the corners of the main control room which yes, you guessed it, are fenced in also!|
Wrekenton was built to replace both a lower powered Third Programme transmitter elsewhere in Newcastle, and the Light Programme transmitter at Stagshaw.
15-Mar-1950 Light Programme (1214 kHz) and Third Programme (647 kHz), enter service.
30-Sep-1967 1214 kHz re-assigned to Radio 1.
2-Sep-1972 Transmitter added for Radio Newcastle on 1457 kHz.
23-Nov-1978 1214 kHz changed to 1215 kHz and reassigned to Radio 3. 647 kHz changed to 603 kHz and reassigned to Radio 4. 1457 kHz changed to 1458 kHz.
28-Feb-1992 Radio 3 (1215 kHz), closed.
30-Apr-1993 INR2 (Virgin Radio) launches on 1215 kHz.
14-Feb-1995 INR3 (Talk Radio) added on 1071 kHz.
Radio Newcastle coverage area map
Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index