UK Broadcast Transmission
Main indexMain GalleryFeaturesInfoTech Wiki
Send in your photosDesktop wallpaperMailing listsFAQsContact
The LibraryTeletextMHPTBSAstrohosts

THE TRANSMISSION GALLERY

FAREHAM

Photos by Peter Bigwood Page last updated: 2014-04-13

Fareham started life as a WW2 group H site operating on 1474 kHz from 7th December 1942. The station briefly closed at the end of the war on 28th July 1945, but was brought back into use for the start of the Third Programme on 29th September 1946. The frequency was changed to 1546 kHz on 15th March 1950, as part of the Copenhagen frequency plan. A transmitter was added on 1214 kHz for the start of Radio 1 on 30th September 1967. From 2nd September 1972 the Radio 3 transmitter on 1546 kHz was closed and replaced with Radio Solent on 998 kHz.

The frequency changes of 23rd November 1978 saw 1214 kHz re-assigned to Radio 3 as 1215 kHz, Radio Solent frequency increased to 999 kHz, and new transmitters opened for Radio 1 on 1089 kHz, and Radio 2 on 909 kHz.

On 27th August 1990 909 kHz re-assigned to Radio 5. 28th February 1992 Radio 3 closed. 30th April 1993 INR 2 (Virgin Radio) in service on 1215 kHz. 30th June 1994 Radio 1 closed. 14th February 1995 INR 3 (Talk Radio) in service on 1107 kHz.



Fareham index

Please let us know if the photographs for this site need updating or improved detail.
To do so, click here.

Back to TX Gallery index | TX main index

mb21 by Mike Brown
Hosted by Astrohosts
Top