ITV 405 line VHF TV TRANSMITTERS
|Channel / Polarisation||10 V||6 H||6 H|
|Max. Vision ERP||200 kW||1 kW||0.1kW|
|Site ASL||841 ft||574 ft||820 ft|
|Aerial ASL||1841 ft||759 ft||958 ft|
|Location (NGR)||SE 223130||TA 009880||SK324870|
The Yorkshire area was served by two of the Authority's transmitting stations. The main station, at Emley Moor near Huddersfield, started transmitting in 1956. A relay station to serve the Scarborough area opened in 1965.
The selection of the site for the Yorkshire station posed considerable problems, largely because coverage of the main concentration of population within the hill-shadowed towns of the West Riding had to be combined with the provision of a service as far away as Kingston-upon-Hull, some 50 miles across the Yorkshire Plain. Sixteen different sites were studied theoretically and tests with a balloon transmitter were made at four before Emley Moor, 841 ft above sea level on the eastern slopes of the Pennine Chain, was finally selected. Originally a 450 ft tower was used to support the aerial, a semicircular power radiation pattern delivering 200 kW e.r.p. in all easterly directions but only a few kilowatts backwards to the west into the natural barrier of the Pennines, thus preventing waste and an unnecessary overlap with the service area of the Winter Hill station. Emley Moor went into service on 3rd November 1956.
The coverage of the Emley Moor station was improved on 15 August 1966 when the service was transferred to a new high mast erected adjacent to the existing tower. The new 1,265 ft mast, at one time the tallest in Europe, replaced the open lattice type of tower. The newer design used curved steel segments to form a 9 ft diameter cylinder for the 900 ft mast column. A 350 ft lattice section on top, together with the capping cylinder, broght the total height to 1,265 ft. Although the new mast was built by the Authority primarily for the new UHF colour transmissions, it also brought improved VHF service to a number of local areas, particularly Sheffield and Hull.
On 11 June 1965 the Authority brought into operation a new relay station to serve the Scarborough area. This station was remotely controlled and monitored from the Emley Moor transmitting station.
Following the collapse of the 1265ft mast at Emley Moor the ITA established a 100W relay for Sheffield on ch6. This opened on 23 March 1969 and is not shown on the map above.
Photo: The old and the ill-fated 'new' masts at Emley Moor, 1966
The Fall and Rise of Emley Moor